July 6, 2010

Our First Garden



I have always wanted a garden.  When we were at the old house there just wasn't room for it.  So when we bought this house it was one of my first requests.   SO....Scott built me a small raised garden earlier in the spring and Dylan and I planted all sorts of fun things, tomatoes, a couple varieties of peppers, potatoes, squash seeds, onion, & garlic.  Dylan was so excited to see all our things growing, and has so much fun picking the veggies. 


The potatoes he especially loved because we were digging in the dirt, in the rain.  I didn't think there would be any, but to my surprise there were lots and lots of potatoes these were the few we decided to pick for dinner that night!


Colt loves hanging out in his car while D and I pick veggies.  He lets us put the veggies in his car, but is quick to close the hood as you can see...


We have had lots of production from everything with exception of the squash.  This is very disappointing!  I have been doing lots of research because we have very large plants with beautiful blooms, but no squash!  I have concluded we need some bees to pollinate our blooms!  Where are all the bees???  So, I am going to plant some flowers that will hopefully bring us some bees!!  So hopefully we can have some squash soon!  Dylan had so much fun digging for potatoes!  I am surprised we actually grew potatoes, because we planted them very late.  I can not wait to plant them earlier next year!  They were so yummy!  We have already decided to enlarge our garden next year too!  It will be a lot more fun next year, Colt will be much more independent then, and I can spend more time working in the garden!!  It makes me so happy, it reminds me of helping my Nanaw in her garden when I was young!  I love it and wish I had more time to spend out there. 


Dylan holding some of our tomatoes

1 comment:

  1. Dylan, you do the funniest stuff! I did not know you were a gardener! When I was a teenager I dug some potatoes and it was hard sweaty work! After Marley and I saw this on your blog we decided we are going to send you some seeds for next year...maybe you'll even plant a flower garden next year. Love to you and your brother Colt! xxoo, Becky

    ReplyDelete