Colt got tubes put in his ears on Thursday. We have only had one ear infection this summer, but the doctor suggested we still go see an ENT specialist because he has so much fluid and with fall and winter coming he didn't see his ears clearing up. We went downtown to see Dr Palmer, who came very highly recommended, and for good reason. He was wonderful. Within about 15 seconds of looking at Colt's ears he suggested tubes, he said there was so much fluid the poor baby probably couldn't even hear. I wanted him to do a hearing test and he said "there was no point, he would fail". So we scheduled the surgery for two weeks later, their first available.
We had to be at the hospital at 6:20 on Thursday and Colt's surgery was scheduled for 7:30. Colt and I were there bright and early. He did so good, he went back to sleep in the car and slept the whole way there. He was such a big boy all morning while they prepped him. Then Scott and Dylan came up right before he went back. Scott had been out of town all week, so Colt was so happy to see him, he would not let me take him back to get his anesthesia, he only wanted Daddy.
While Scott & Colt went to get Colt's anesthesia Dylan and I went to the waiting room. From there they would take Colt back to surgery and Scott would join Dylan & I in the waiting room. As soon as Scott got in the waiting room, he and Dylan went to the restroom and they no more sat down and I could see Dr Palmer he was on his way to talk to us about Colt's surgery. They were already done!! I know this is a very routine surgery, but anytime they start talking to you about anesthesia and the things that "could" go wrong it is so scary. I can't even imagine having to endure a long surgery, or a long illness. Everything went perfect and Dr Palmer said he had lots of fluid in both ears and talked to us for a few minutes. Then, Dr Palmer left I assumed he was going to his next surgery, but he came back with a muffin for Dylan, he was so good to Dylan. I was surprised because they strongly urge you to not bring siblings. Then about 10 min later the nurse came to tell us Colt was waking up. Only one of us could go back because we had Dylan with us. So, I went back and at first Colt was very disoriented almost drunk looking, his eyes were very glassy and he was inconsolable. He didn't know what he wanted, nor did I. It took about 15 minutes for him to get back to normal. The longest 15 minutes ever for me. Then we headed home. He slept the whole way home. Once we got home he played with D for a little bit, and then he took a long nap and when he woke up he was a little crabby for a few hours then he was fine. In the past couple of days we have seen a much happier Colt!! You can tell he feels better, and he can HEAR!! When I talk to him he answers me and looks at me!! YAY!! Everything happened so quickly on Thursday I didn't take one single picture. Here he is riding the carousal with his Mamaw this weekend. He loved it!
He was waving and so happy! He got so excited when we talked about him riding it! He actually shakes his head yes when he wants something or I ask him a question. It is precious! Dylan didn't do this, he always said no to everything!
We also went to the children's museum this weekend with some friends. They boys had a blast this was the first time we have been since Colt started walking really good. So he got to play with Dylan, and not just watch from the stroller!
Colt driving the ambulance
Colt playing in the grocery store
He could have played there for days!
They have a new exhibit about Egypt that was really cool. They had a mummy on display, her name is Annie. She was so tiny. One of the workers told us that Annie The Mummy moves....that is just plain creepy. Then they had this big camel...it was super cool!





Colt, I am so happy to see that your recovery was fast and that you are already up and running. You have the brightest smile! Love, Becky...tell your brother "hi" for me
ReplyDelete